Friday 27 June 2008

Back from Out Back

Work commitments took me to Broken Hill this week and I loved being there. The country is so different, it's like being on another planet. Broken Hill is about 800km west of where I live, and close to the border of South Australia. It's a mining town rich in minerals, particularly lead and silver. It's desert country, with an average yearly rainfall of around 250mm and it's beautiful. The colours of the earth and sky are just amazing, and my photos certainly don't do it justice.




I used to think that in paintings by Pro Hart, the colours looked unreal and artificial. Then, about 20 years ago I visited his hometown of Broken Hill, and immediately saw the colours and intensity of colour that he saw.

This trip, I visited the Living Desert Reserve and climbed to the top of the hill to see the Sculpture Symposium. Sculpted from sandstone by a group of sculptors from around the world, they stand on a hill about 8km north of the town. My travelling companion wasn't up to the steep climb to the top. So there I was on my own, except for the emus, kangaroos and magpies, in complete silence and surrounded by desert. I didn't want to ever come down again. Now I know why some hermits choose mountain tops to escape from the world.




And I just had to show you this...going in and asking to join was considered, especially when the work commitments became a little overwhelming...

Just in case you can't read the sign, it's the Broken Hill Housewives Association.

1 comment:

margaret said...

The sculpture in the first picture is so reminiscent of the work of Eduardo Chillida, a Spanish sculptor - but some of his works are sited beside the sea pounding on rocks!